Opening up Our Community – June 26, 2020
Many state and county governments are releasing plans to reopen the economy to essential businesses. While this is an encouraging sign, please know this process will be thoughtfully considered at The Virginian. We will implement a multi-phased approach when reopening our community. As we serve vulnerable adults throughout our community, The Virginian’s reopening phases may differ than the state’s or county’s phased approach. We will base decisions for each phase on state and regional criteria, advice from public health officials, and the health status of our community. We will evaluate how we shift our protocols after we know our community is no longer at risk, and with careful consideration of the guidance offered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and local and state health departments
We are all looking forward to the day when we can resume our lives as a community and gather with our friends, yet the health and safety of residents and employees must remain our highest priority. From the beginning, we have taken on this challenge as a marathon rather than a sprint. There are no short cuts or easy answers to how we reduce our risk to COVID-19 and it’s as important as ever that we continue to remain focused on protecting ourselves and supporting each other. We want to keep you informed regarding what services will re-open and our policies on visitors to the community.
As of June 26, 2020, The Virginian service updates and visitor policies are as follows;
- Comment on visitation policies and procedures
- Comment on services that are resuming and limitations
In the upcoming weeks, and until further notice, The Virginian will continue to follow the heightened precautionary measures currently in place. These practices include following social distancing protocols, wearing masks, and visitation restrictions. We understand the risks posed to our community from COVID-19 and remain committed to our processes. As the situation evolves, and we make changes to our protocols, residents, employees and families will be notified first. We will work to keep you informed via our website.
Thank you for your patience, your support, and for embodying the hopeful spirit that The Virginian is known for as we continue to navigate this process together. If you have specific questions on how The Virginian will re-open, please contact us at (703) 385-0555 for local information.
For more information about COVID-19 and our national response to COVID-19, go to https://www.lcsnet.com/covid-19-update/.
“Fast facts” regarding COVID-19 precautions at The Virginian:
Since March, the community has been following CDC, CMD, LCS, and applicable state and county guidelines, including updates, for mitigating the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
During this time, safety precautions and actions taken by The Virginian have included, but not been limited to:
- Temperature and CDC symptom checks of all staff daily
- Use of masks and other PPE by all staff, as appropriate to care level and needs of residents
- Replacing group dining with room-to-room meal delivery
- Replacing resident group activities with individualized life enrichment programming
- Replacing visitor access with video visit technology and scheduled “window to the world” resident/family visits
- Implementing social distancing protocols for residents and staff, and removing group seating areas
- Increasing daily cleaning of high traffic/high touch areas with hospital-grade disinfectant
- COVID-19 testing of community residents and staff
- Establishing a designated COVID-19 isolation unit for residents testing positive for the virus, including staff dedicated solely to this unit
The health and safety of our residents and staff remains our highest priority.
After careful consideration for the health and safety of residents, employees, and family members, our community amended its visitor policy on Monday, March 16, and is restricting visitors from entering our community.
Please bookmark the LSC website for future updates and information regarding our community COVID-19 response and prevention measures already implemented, such as:
- Educating all staff and residents in social distancing guidelines
- Increasing the frequency and rigor of cleaning and disinfecting common community areas
- Implementing temporary visitor restrictions, including deliveries
- Canceling on-site large group social events and recreational activities
- Reviewing and executing our emergency preparedness and response program
- Asking residents and employees to reschedule travel plans and remain in our community
- Deploying an updated visitor advisory for communities and to campus
- Coordinating best practices across the broad, LCS partner network
- Making the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 prevention resources and recommendations available to all employees
All future updates regarding the COVID-19 response, including visitor policies, social distancing guidelines, and prevention recommendations, can be found here. LCS has also opened a national hotline for information. Call 855-998-4934